View Single Post
Old 08-25-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Time4Change
NA Rocks!

Hi there, bwils44! So glad you're here! Wow! Angelgirl gave you a lot of wonderful information. (Good job, Sweetie! ) I thought I'd jump in here, too, and let you know my situation.

I'm also on Suboxone. I'm so grateful to the folks on these message boards who first educated me about the Sub treatment for hydrocodone addiction. It has honestly saved my life, my marriage, my sanity, etc. My addiction doctor is really great. He takes the entire hour during my appointment to go over everything quite thoroughly, and I really appreciate that. He makes sure I regularly attend my NA meetings (although I absolutely LOVE my NA, so there's no need for him to worry) and he's great at counseling me regarding medications, etc. I was taking a regular dosage of approx. 1 mgs. Xanax when I first got on Sub, so he said we wouldn't worry about it at that moment, and he gave me another script for it. He said I'd eventually need to taper, and I thought it would be impossible. But you know, the Suboxone works so well, it's actually been rather simple to taper the Xanax. I used to take nibbles of it throughout the day, then a bigger chunk at night, but my second dose of the day of Sub (around 4:00 or 5:00 pm) usually makes me sleepy, so I'm finding I don't really need the Xanax anymore. My doc then wrote me a script for the .5 mgs. of Xanax, but I continued to take them as if they were the 1 mgs. tablets, kind of tricking my brain into thinking I was taking the same dosage. I have weaned myself to .25 mgs. per day with ease, and my doctor told me I could jump off now if I feel I'm ready. I probably am, but I'm still taking a nibble here and there. I only have a few tablets left and will not ask my doc for any more, so eventually I'll be off them completely. I'm glad. I had worried about that for a while. I think NA meetings have been helpful, too, in giving me the strength to get off them.

Anyway, sorry for the long response. I just wanted to let you know that Xanax is often not advised while on Sub, but quite a few take it. My doctor told me if I didn't have a problem taking the Xanax with my painkillers, then I wouldn't have a problem taking it with the Sub. That made sense. Hopefully you'll find you won't need as much Xanax while on the Sub. It's a Godsend!

Good luck, bwils44! Hope you'll keep us updated on your progress. It's nice to know there's another Sub person to chat with!

Oh yeah, how'd your appointment go yesterday?