View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Thumper

I was so relieved when we were apart for awhile and I was able to let go of all the anger and resentment and just be. The place where I was not mad at him or myself was a welcome one. I did go through a short spell where I was just sad for him. I was sad that neither of us got that dream life I had held in my head for such a long time. Now there is just nothing really. I have accepted that he is an imperfect being (as we all are) with no responsibility to do as I wish or what is best for anyone but himself. I'm not mad or glad or sad or sorry. There is no love or hate or anger or frustration. I have forgive but not forgotten so I do not trust him with anything (plans or my feelings or sincerity or to not emotionally hurt me when he is hurting) - but that is OK. It is just smart.

My ex was never abusive in the way yours is and he is not part of my day to day or week to week life. It makes it easier. We've also been divorced for 6 years now.

Long winded share to say that I think it is normal, or at least it is in my experience Just don't get caught there. I did a lot of reminding that feelings are not facts, except what I know is true, look out for myself no one else is, stay in my own hula hoop and not ponder over his feelings/thoughts/motivations/ etc. etc.

Turns out that even if he does have some mental health issues (my ex has been diagnosed and spends as much energy managing them as he does the sobriety) he can carve out a decent life in this world, no pity from me needed.