View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jeni26

A sober routine. Anyone else?

One thing that seems to be making a real difference to me this time around is having my sobriety routine. It has become vitally important to me. Maybe it's because I'm a creature of habit, but taking a few little actions is helping me keep my recovery first and foremost in my mind.

Some of these are as a result of living in the steps of AA. Some of them are just little things I've found helped.

When I wake up every morning I take a few minutes to think ahead and pray to be shown the right things to do or say that day. A 30 second prayer as I'm rushing around getting organised. That little prayer is often repeated during the day if things get a little complicated.

I check into SR and post on the 24 hour thread. It helps keep things in the day for me.

After breakfast , I spend 15 minutes or so in meditation. I quietly listen to music on YouTube and try and empty my mind of all the chatter.

During the day at some point I message a couple of good friends I met here on SR. We are such a good and diverse mix we three, and it helps me feel grounded. We are all alcoholics just helping each other along the way.

I e-mail my sponsor at the end of every day to review what has happened. I look out for any signs where I've been selfish, or dishonest, or fearful. She rarely responds but it helps me evaluate what I'm doing and why. Then I give thanks for all the things I am blessed to have in my life.

On a Saturday morning I go to my home group. It's an early meeting, at 7.30, and I love it. I'm the literature secretary there and the folks there have strong and solid sobriety and are full of wisdom.

These are such simple things to do.

Anyone else got a little sobriety routine they follow?