View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
stillpooh19

YES!!!

So, I finally found a doctor who got it and this is what she taught me...

1) The down regulation of GABA is responsible for the crippling anxiety. It takes 6-24 months for the brain to naturally regenerate receptors and neurotransmitters.
2) Benzodiazapine and alcohol withdrawal are almost identical. There is another person here on SR that sent me to a benzo support forum that does a GREAT job explain the healing process.
3) Alcohol is a depressant so if you are naturally predisposed to depression, you will experience it while drinking. If you only started having these issues after ceasing alcohol, chance are they can be attributed to PAWS.
4) PAWS looks different for everybody. Some people will have continual symptoms and some will have symptoms come and go. Some will be more severe and last longer.
5) Vitamins and supplements are good, but they won't fix the problem. Only TIME really heals the brain. Though some things will make you a little more comfortable. She recommended I focus on minerals to allow the entire body to rebuild.
6) Magnesium helps! I got ReMag because it absorbs better. Us alcoholics are likely to have absorption issues. I put Epsom salts in my baths, especially on the morning when the anxiety is he highest.
7) Anti depressants help but since I did not have pre existing depression or anxiety she felt it may be better for me to try to recover with out them. Plus there was/is nothing going on in my life to be depressed or anxious about. She was concerned about having to wean off the AD's which can be just as difficult as recovering from the alcohol for SOME people. She will still write the script, I just decided to try to make it through.

There is another discussion here on SR that talks about PAWS maybe you should read it..."Those tortured by PAWS..."

Best wishes!