Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by trying12345 View Post
It's like my brain is telling me it needs to the wine, even though the though of the taste of it is not appealing to me. My question it: how can I crave something when thought of the taste of it is so unappealing to me right now?
After 20 years of regularly ingesting large amounts of alcohol, your brain has come to expect it. It may even view it as necessary at this point, but it should re-adjust to not expecting it in about 90 days.

That's not to say that the thought of drinking won't re-appear after 90 days, but it shouldn't feel quite as 'intense' by then. It should taper off in time, with occasional peaks here and there.

Originally Posted by trying12345 View Post
I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day in college and quit and it was hell. But, I got over it and now don't smoke. I guess I thought drinking would be the same.
It can be the same, in that you can become a common teetotaler, akin to an ex-smoker, without devoting your entire life to a process of recovery. However, alcohol is a little bit stronger than nicotine, so the corresponding drive to drink alcohol is also a little bit stronger.