View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It sounds like you have been doing all the right things, yet the symptoms you describe are also those of the spiritual malady.

It is an easy thing to suggest you just go see the doctor and get some pills, but that can be a risky path. It is important to be sure of the diagnosis in order to get the appropriate treatment. Faced with a similar condition a few years ago, I did six or eight sessions with a clinical psychologist to try and find a cause for how I was feeling. Nothing was found and coincidentally as I got busy again with other alcoholics, the symptoms disappeared.

Tomsteve asked very relevant questions above about where you are at with the steps and your sponsor. I find life can go pretty well if I am living the program, but I can become blocked at times. This is nearly always because I am not doing something I should do or I am doing something I shouldn't.

Maybe I am keeping a secret, or maybe there is an amends I am refusing to make, but there is another level to do with our own personal values.

As a sober alcoholic, we sometimes say, we can do anything at all, except drink. It's not quite accurate. There are usually one or two other things we cannot do without paying a spiritual price. I cannot steal, I cannot procrastinate, I cannot betray friends, I cannot lie. Any one of these things can block me from the Power and I can get pretty miserable until I take action to clean up the mess and restore contact with the Power.