View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Madnellie

I could so easily have written that post myself, my experiences are so similar. I have a history of anxiety and depression and I take an anti-depressant every day for it. I'm at just over 7 months and the past month has been by far the worst during my sobriety. My timeline is almost identical to yours - a difficult first month followed by a few months of relative calm where I had some bad days but nothing like this. From talking to others and researching online I've learned about Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS), which seems to be quite common amongst recovering alcoholics and something that does improve with time. As others have said you should definitely talk to your doctor though, and consider counselling. I'm in AA and it helps me immensely but therapy has helped me just as much. It helps that my therapist is also a recovering alcoholic so she is very much up to date on all things recovery related and very understanding of the process. In my opinion it is a very good idea to seek medical help to get through this. Don't get me wrong, it's still absolute hell but I am at least learning tools to cope with these feelings and building up some resilience.
Everyone promises me that it does get better and this is just a part of the process, so I have faith it will all work out. Best of luck, and please do keep us updated