View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
picturebigger

Originally Posted by BullDog777 View Post
the PAWS, i like how Scott worded it. it's not a diagnosable condition. I've "diagnosed" myself with PAWS and everything else under the sun. I was diagnosed as a "chronic" alcoholic. No doctor gave me much of a chance of staying sober at all. i had been in and out for 20+ years.

When i say this next part, i don't mean to minimize any one elses' experiences. However, in my last attempt of sobriety, i refused to read any of the PAWS stories, the pontification, the mind fu#$ing threads....it can lead one right out the door. it's like the blind leading the blind.

I did however read the stories of hope and strength. i just left the rest. the smartest thing i ever did was to stop over thinking sobriety, and approach with" Forrest Gump, fartin' in the bath tub stupidity."

The rest of it was imo just more sick thinking.

give it a try. think left, go right. think up, go down. you have to be teachable for this to work.... to learn to live in the hope part, not in the fear of the sickness.

i hope this helps.
that is a great point. i have actually been preparing to do the same. quit reading the headlines, just nail it til it's over. i completely agree w/ you and Scott. but i can't help but be nervous after the last 2 quits made me so miserable. i can say now i'll be man up and accomplish it, but i struggle to forget the last 2 times i had the same motivation and week 5 ruined me. i guess only one way to find out.. and take what i learned from the past 2 times as i go. first quit was 34 days, second quit was 37 days. maybe i can drag it out to 47 days or forever this time. scrape myself up and do it again, my only option.