Old 12-15-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
dotboston

Annoying "all-inclusive" resort experience

The past few years my partner and I have been taking December vacations somewhere warm. This year, we got a good deal on an all-inclusive resort in the Carribean and decided to try it out.

I just celebrated 5-years on November 29th, my partner is not an AA but does drink lightly here and there. He's super supportive of my sobriety and that's a huge help.

Since we've arrived, it's been booze everywhere. From when you get out of the shuttle from the airport, to booze in your room (bottles of hard stuff even, champagne and beer). Even at dinner, they brought drinks we didn't even order to the table (specialty rum drinks). Fairly annoying.

Then you have the folks who come here to just drink drink drink. They are also fairly annoying. They just talk about what they are drinking, their hangovers, the rum distillery, blah blah blah. I had to walk away from a few groups of folks just because I found it so boring and tedious to listen too.

Oddly I didn't find all of this particularly triggering. If anything, it is a turn off and a reminder as to what I am NOT missing out on.

But then something really bad happened. We were over at the beach, and approached the beach bar to get something to drink. The bartender was really trying to push the liquor on me. "Do a shot of tequila!". I reiterated at least 3 times "No thank you, I actually don't drink. At all. Ever. Can't drink.". She was like you want a virgin drink, are you a virgin? Oh ha ha. Whatever, I can deal with that.

I was thirsty so I ordered just a soda with a lime. Fine. Then I took a sip, and it was not just soda. I could taste gin. The bartender started laughing "Oh ha ha, I threw some gin in there, it'll be good for you.".

What. The. F.

My partner had only half heard what was going on and I poked him and was like "She put gin in my drink". We excused ourselves and walked away from the bar. I was furious but stunned.

Anyway, I decided to report the incident. I found a hotel manager and explained the situation and that I was sober and this was extremely serious. He seemed to be very genuine and concerned about what had happened. He did mention they do a lot of training of the staff for sensitivity around many things, but alcholism was one where they need to improve upon.

So hopefully my actions helped. There are many people who aren't alcoholic who don't drink because of health issues, religious beliefs, etc.

I don't think I "slipped" or "relapsed". I had one small sip, it wasn't intentional, and I certainly didn't get drunk! But the thought of this stupid incident resetting my sobriety or leading to something terrible did cross my mind.

I felt it was important to share as a warning to others. And... avoid these resorts! Otherwise we've had a nice time, but I'm all set with this booze fueled fiesta!