Thread: Alky types.
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
I appreciate the feedback. I'm not calling anyone stupid, though. I was borrowing from the two OP's I quoted, who are accusing others of being clumsy in their approach to AA, for apparently opposing reasons. One favors a more limited view of membership, and the other favors a more relaxed view.

I will let both of them respond to my commentary, if they wish, but they both appear to believe that people cannot make up their own minds about attending AA, or the need to work the steps. I don't agree with that assessment, and I wouldn't agree with a similar assessment regarding any other approach, either.

Alcoholics and other addicted people are not nearly as incompetent as they are often made out to be by the experts. Their priorities are usually misplaced, but they are usually rather capable. They usually have to be clever by necessity, because maintaining an addiction is not easy.

This includes you, Frickaflip233. You are perfectly capable of doing what you must, and ending your addiction, but you may need to start trusting yourself in order to do so. By all means, do read the freely available information on Secular Connections, and ask away, if you wish.
This, is a big reason attempts as sobriety fail. It's a lack of trust in ourselves.

Look, society is going to try to sell us a lot of things, but we have to be discerning about which things we buy in to. Choose to buy in to the belief that recovery is possible, that you are capable and deserving of a better life, that you can move on from your past and live a different life whenever you choose to, that you are not defined by what others think of you..