Thread: Alky types.
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Centered3

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
The terms chronic or severe alcohol used disorder covers what AA refers to as the real alcoholic, but that is only a relatively small proportion of the total. AA has an effective treatment program for these types of which I am one.
Mike, I'm confused. So most people in AA who call themselves alcoholics aren't "chronic" alcoholics? What other type is there? Which type are you?

They told me this is a disorder with a very long tail. There are many variations along the spectrum towards the severe cases and there are effective treatments for pretty much all sufferers who have not yet reached the stage where they have lost the power of choice. Further, most aud sufferers will not reach that stage at all.
Please can you shed some light on this?

I was always afraid in the beginning to call myself "alcoholic" because my bottom seemed to be higher than others in my home group, but this might make more sense to me with some clarification. Thanks in advance.

I once heard a circuit speaker explain the difference between a chronic alcoholic and a periodic alcoholic and I am definitely more of a periodic alcoholic, but I don't recall seeing that in the big book.