View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 08:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by honeypig View Post
Learning to admit it when we need help is a good practice to get into, regardless of how old we are, I think.
You know, I think that's one way in which those of us who have gone through recovery maybe have a bit of an advantage as we get older. I think the feeling we have to do EVERYTHING ourselves and not ask for help, has been proven wrong already. I know that I'm a lot more willing, and less stubborn about doing things "my way", than I was when I was young. Even when I was a little kid, my report cards always noted that I wouldn't accept suggestions well. That's sorta been beaten out of me by life. We all need help now and then, and there's no shame in asking for it when we do, or in admitting we've been doing things the hard way. Just another thing to be grateful for.

Of course, some older people develop dementia or other cognitive difficulties that interfere with the ability to have a good sense of when they need help. But for so many, I think, it's a lifelong habit that is much harder to break after so many years of doing things the way they always have.