View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Maudcat

That is such an interesting observation, Puzzled, about marketing going toward the children of potential residents, not the elderly themselves. Very true, I think. The irony in my life is that my bro and I have done as much as we can to keep my mother safe in her two-story home, without impinging on her autonomy. Yet she talks constantly about the house being too much--it's not. We take care of everything--and how she should go into assisted living. Well, as posted earlier, she turned down a subsidized apartment (sigh) so the less-cost ship has sailed. She can't apply again for two more years. She will be 93 by then. So we are looking at private pay assisted care because she totally resisted efforts to shield her savings years ago. This will burn through her savings in 3-5 years, depending on the facility. And...she wouldn't like it! She would hate living with other people. She doesn't like to visit family, for goodness sake, because she would have to sit and talk to them. I get so frustrated.
There is another good book, a few years old now, about aging and the commerce generated by it. It's called "shock of gray." Don't remember the author's name. It is probably a bit dated now, but it was an interesting read.
As to what any of this has to do with drinking, I consider caring for aged parents a potential stressor, just like job-related stress or family stress. Peace.