View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Croissant

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Leshar

I know how it is to get sober and then develop health issues. I'd love to be still able to walk more than 100m - I used to be able to walk miles - but thats not the dice I've been dealt.

Fortunately there's so many help aids these days I can still live a more or less normal life.

I think it's the same for you too.
I think there is wisdom in Dee's words, Leshar.
Firstly, it's a different age of medicine and your issues have been detected. For that alone, we should be grateful. There are amazing drugs to manage chronic Illnesses today, and these issues could not have been avoided, it seems.

Secondly, the appreciation that you do have excellent health now, so it's time to make the most of it. Using time worrying about tomorrow is not living life. Enjoying your gifts - and you have many, are what life is about.

I heard an Australian actress who has suffered chronic bouts of depression talking the other day about how incapacitated depression made her feel. She had no reason to get up or out of bed. She is now an advocate for volunteering, and says it gave her a deep sense of purpose, a reason to get up in the morning, keep a commitment to someone else and appreciate what she did have and a sense of community and support.

I wish you would reconsider the benefits it might bring to you. I know Dee dedicates a lot of his time here, when he could (quite rightly) be off being miserable about health issues. I too found volunteering helped me out of a very dark suicidal phase, where I had no will to live, whatsoever.

We will all die, Leshar. That is guaranteed. And no amount of worrying is going to avoid it. But why spend the time you are alive, worrying about something that is not going to be an issue for a very long time? It's time to start enjoying the very thing you are now scared of losing - life.