Thread: New to AVRT
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by GerandTwine View Post
The point I'm trying to make here is that practicing AVRT perfectly every minute of every day does not make sense without having made the Big Plan, because as soon as the awareness that The Big Plan exists for anyone to take, it is the AV of the Beast that is in constant control until the Big Plan IS taken.
I agree, but I believe this warrants some further thoughts. Every single addicted person intuitively knows that the Big Plan exists for them to take, but the unrecognized Beast (i.e., no separation), still in control of the pronoun "I", screens all thinking, and intervenes to make sure that such a plan to end the addiction is never seriously entertained, much less implemented.

This accounts for the many detours that people take instead of ending their addiction. 'Never say never' says the Beast, and without AVRT, the addicted one does not recognize the Beast as "not I, but IT", and even with knowledge of the Big Plan, has reversal, upon reversal, upon reversal, of intent. Separation is important, and the experience which soberlicious shared elsewhere on this thread is instructive on this count.

In other words, as much as some people may want to reduce things to the Big Plan alone, the Big Plan is not AVRT, but rather, it is a part of AVRT, which brings the Addictive Voice into consciousness, by creating the necessary separation (I/It), and by providing a clear context against which the AV may stand out for recognition.

Were that not the case, the AVRT "crash course" would have only one single flashcard, instead of well over twenty. That one, single flashcard would simply read something along the lines of "never drink again, now go home." Similarly, neither would the Rational Recovery book have as many pages as it does.

Without a Big Plan, AVRT becomes just another tentative quit drinking experiment, another "choosing not to drink today" approach, but a Big Plan, while technically sufficient by itself, in that some people may quit without the use of AVRT, the Big Plan is not, by itself, AVRT, regardless of any Big Plan bravado. In AVRT, recognition, and separation, are equally important.