Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
notsosober77

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
I didn't understand the statement that Dee just quoted, at all. Maybe it could be rephrased? Because I tend not to think it paints relapse in a positive light, I think it intends to accomplish the opposite, but that the message got lost in translation some how?
I was not implying that a relapse is desirable. However, when I did relapse I learned from it.

When I first quit, I wanted to quit very much. As time passed, I romanticized how it was to drink. I began to miss it and lose my strong desire to be sober. I relapsed and that reminded me why I wanted to quit and at the same time it disabused me of the false memories of how pleasant it was to drink.

Over time, after multiple relapses, each father apart in time and less drastic in amounts of drinking, I slowly became immune to the AV lie that it was good to drink. It was a sort of testing of the waters with relapses and my desire to remain sober has grown stronger as a result.

But as the old disclaimer says, don't try this at home. I don't recommend relapse, no. That would be like recommending you drop out of school to find out what the true value of an education is.