Thread: New to AVRT
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

How to use The Extinction Curve in AVRT

Originally Posted by Algorithm View Post
Once born, the Beast never dies. With sustained abstinence, however, it will probably follow a typical extinction curve, with decreasing frequency of activity over time, and the occasional spike here and there.
Hi Algorithm,

If, following the statement you made above, you were to add, "I think that extinction curve is a desireable feature of the nature of the Beast." then, as I understand it, you would believe this additional sentence would be your Addictive Voice chiming in in an attempt to get you to drink some more.

I agree that is an acceptable application of AVRT. But there is more here.

This brings up the way of organizing thoughts as second, third and higher order REcognition.

1 - stream of thought
2 - stopping to think about that stream of thought
3 - evaluating what I had stopped to think about that stream of thought
4 - re-evaluating what I had evaluated about what I had stopped to think about that first stream of thought
5 - etc, etc

The key about all this is that the Addictive Voice can be any or all of these areas of thought.

So, back to the idea of "the extinction curve" - What is really going on if "I" am not supposed to accept good thoughts about the existence of the extinction curve as my own, and I must always re-evaluate such thoughts as the Addictive Voice?

Isn't it also possible to say, upon further evaluation of "the liking of the extinction curve", that it's the Beast that doesn't want me to have any good feelings about the fact that IT will diminish in strength over time. That would also seem to support the future use of alcohol.

GT