View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
knowthetriggers

So we were able to talk today...

He sounds good, very humble at the moment. Said since he checked himself in he is glad he did and this past Saturday he walked up to receive the surrender chip during a meeting. He said he is not sharing a lot but he is listening.

When I packed his bags I threw in the Big Book and to my surprise he told me he is at Chapter 11.

Well it all sounds good and that's fine but the words he told me over the phone 12 years ago are on repeat in my head - "I didn't move here from my health". Let me explain....this is not our home, we are transplants but over the years this has become our home. I have grown to love it here although I do miss my family dearly. Anyway I moved her knowing he was still drinking "only beer" (his words). I thought this could be a fresh start. I totally ignored the red flags blowing in the hurricane right in front my face. I moved here on hope and dreams of a new beginning....

Fast forward 11 years and another daughter later we are back to where we were before he moved here......sigh. This was just a change of scenery because the root of the problem was still there. I am surprised it took us this long to get back to square one.

So for me, this is a chance to really embrace MY recovery. I will not go back to square one. I made that very clear in our conversation. I also mentioned that if he should ever think "he's got this" after a couple of weeks then he can find a new home because no one ever just "gets it", it is work, hard work. He said he understood and said he was already working on a solid recovery foundation.

One day at a time my friends, one day at a time!