View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
There's a big difference here. Words only have meaning insofar as what meaning we give them. Like it or not, once you know that items were planted on Storage Wars, you can't unknow it. Two very different things.

There is no evidence in his writing that Shakespeare intended to convey the idea that being true to oneself is a bad thing. The word 'true' meant something very different at that time than it did hundreds of years later. More like in archery, when your aim is "true." Doesn't mean honest or faithful, more like on the mark, or an aim that is "right." The characters are fictional, and are meant to bring to life the reality that everything in life is not as it seems to be. Though I'd still be careful about taking in unsolicited counsel from foolish people.
It was a shallow example like I said. I know better than to give analogies because I know they never work. As a writer at heart, I believe that the meaning behind my words is the correct one. I understand the reader is wont to interpret it differently, but if their meaning is different is from my meaning, they are wrong, really.