View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
entropy1964

I have two types (well 3 really if you count PTSD) of anxiety. The kind I get in early abstinence due to the cessation of alcohol and GAD, the kind I've had all my life.

The alcohol induced anxiety does go away, at least for me, after a few weeks of not drinking. I alleviate it short term with exercise, staying busy, eating right, staying hydrated, good vitamins (talk with the dr.) and deep breathing. Sleep, if possible.

The GAD is trickier but I've been dealing with it for as long as I can remember. Medications don't work for me so its all lifestyle. I try to keep a predictable schedule..limit surprises and anything spontaneous. Exercise is key, daily. Eating a healthy diet. Lots of sleep. Anything to support my CNS and keep it 'calm'. I stay busy. 12 step works well for me because it teaches me ways of letting go. Ways of staying out of the results and the future. Ways of accepting that I control very little in life, but that my HP has control and to have faith in that. Basically 12 step helps with all the fear that drives anxiety. Unfortunately for me there is not magic pill.