View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Not so odd and it's discussed here on SR periodically.

I also used to drink coffee all the time from morning to evening, not when I got sober or while I was drinking heavily, but before, when younger. As my alcohol drinking escalated, I lost my interest in coffee and would usually only have 1-2 cups in the morning or nothing when I was too sick with a hangover. I mostly maintained that dosage in sobriety but I do sometimes have another cup later in the day.

I find that I can no longer tolerate more caffeine well. It makes me feel weird physically but most importantly, it increases my anxiety. I am actually not sure these things did not happen earlier in my life, perhaps I was just not so aware or did not make the connection. In any case, I definitely feel that moderate caffeine consumption helps me stay calm. But I also do find that when I am in a scatter-brained state or have low motivation to focus on something, a cup of coffee can help. Maybe the caffeine, maybe just the fact I enjoy it, perhaps both. I personally would not want to cut it out completely.