Old 11-30-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
shortstop81
G-Woman

As cliche as it sounds - grateful for recovery today

I've almost been sober 1 month. Woo-hoo! I've had many stints of sobriety over the years, but this time I'm really focusing on overall *recovery* rather than simply *sobriety*.

Things I am grateful for today:

1) The constant pressure behind my eyes is gone. My head feels lighter, and eyes brighter.

2) Nurturing old and new friendships. I'm not good at meeting new people, but I've been tentatively chatting with some AA peeps, trying to break out of my shyness and isolation.

3) Speaking of relationships, I've just broken up with someone and it was a crushing blow. I'm grateful to be sober going through this, because I know I can properly grieve this loss and not prolong my pain by numbing it with booze.

4) Campral. Holy moly. I can't believe this medication only came into my life now. No more obsessive thoughts and cravings with alcohol. I can't praise this enough without sounding like a pharmaceutical rep.

5) Smiling to myself when I'm alone. Reading something funny on my phone. Having a funny memory. Just noticing that I can smile for myself instead of only saving it for others in my presence.

I have many more, but these were the ones that came to mind today.

Oh, and 6). Grateful to ALSO give up smoking last night.