Old 11-30-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I am a polyamorous person by default, it has always been and remains to be my basic preference when it comes to romantic relationships, drinking or not; also bisexual. I intensely despise what I personally call as "cheating": engaging in multiple relationships and not being open and straightforward about it with the partner(s). Yes, relationships like this are always complex, but not necessarily complicated, in my experience, if all partners have the same philosophy or at least are able to accept someone else's needs and make a compromise without suffering from it.

At the same time, I do not reject monogamy at all when it comes from mutual desire and need in a relationship naturally. What I dislike, and refuse in my life, is people demanding it from each-other in a one-sided way. To me personally, that equals to wanting to own another person and this is something I have never been willing to accept and never practiced myself. In spite of all this though, if I look back on my life, some of the most satisfying relationship phases were periods when my partner and I engaged with each-other exclusively - not because it is a social norm or driven by insecurities, but because that's what we both wanted and needed at the time. But I have never had a long-term relationship (meaning years) that remained in that state at all times and I don't actually want it to be that way. I personally very much like to experience the natural dynamic of relationships even if it's challenging and difficult at times. All of the above of course requires that I find partners who have compatible views to mine - something I tend to actively look for.

A got into a new relationship like this when I was a bit less than a year sober (with someone I knew for years prior) and we got married about 8 months later. My first marriage, his second. I had a relapse (~2 months) later, which was quite a shock to my partner, but my husband was very supportive and thankfully the relapse was behind us relatively soon. My husband is also bi and a curious person who loves to explore, we are a good fit that way.

I spent a lot of time investigating this whole phenomenon though... Is it genuinely being open-minded and free spirited, or is it driven by avoidant features that often dismisses expectations and the feelings of others? Long story, won't get into details, but my conclusion is that it's most likely the combination of both. The thing though is that it's working in my life, and I feel satisfied and do not disrespect my partner. I also don't feel that it is intimacy I avoid in my close, compatible relationships... not the feedback I tend to be given by partners either. So I don't see a reason why to question it more or try to change it to force myself into a mold that is not me.

One thing about the polyamorous relationships though is that sometimes they can become a bit like constant negotiation and plotting (assuming that the partners discuss what's going on)... I've heard some people being repulsed by that aspect, they feel like it's constant analysis and revision instead of living in a relaxed way. Another challenging element is the hierarchy that is most often present in the relationship involving multiple participants. I think most often people choose one close, primary partner and the others are more causal explorations - this is how it currently works for me as well.