View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 05:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sephra

Hi,
I have experience with my stepson and stepdaughter with drug court and diversion programs. I live in NH, so I am sure that they are different everywhere.
Here, while the program is good in theory, its not so good in reality.
Our state is so overrun with the drug problem that the system cant really keep up.
In my stepdaughters case, they drug tested her every week, and she failed every week. Nothing was ever done. In both stepkids cases... there is a requirement of going to 4 meetings a week. Neither have ever went to one. Nothing is ever done.
What is done... a required meeting with the court or case assignee, and the **** tests (which if they come back positive, there is no repercussions) and curfew. My stepson has a 7pm curfew and they send a probation officer (? I think he's probation) to check if hes there. what that means... I get the law showing up at my house at random times. This week, the guy showed up at 5:30 (? for a 7 pm curfew? and is on my property, hating his job, being rude to me? Lovely.)
I wish I had more faith in the diversion program. What I have seen in my situation is that it just buys them more time, and they do enough just to tow the line and stay out of trouble, and the program is short funded and overwhelmed and the system sucks.
I hope its the wake up call that your son needs.
I just know I was really kind of glad when mine got into it, thinking that it would do more good than it did in my case.
Also, because they are in diversion, the court looks favorably on it, my stepdaughter in particular, they did no favors, keeping out of jail. Jail is safer. Diversion, still gives an active addict to much free time and choice. (In my jaded opinion only)