Old 11-29-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
EndGameNYC
EndGame

Originally Posted by Steely View Post
It would mean crunching the numbers, but I don't think creative people are necessarily more prone to alcohol abuse than any of us other mere mortals. We just hear about them more often because they are famous. We all struggle with the creative life. Doesn't have to be a great novel or painting, or something.

Beware of false idols, I'm fully impressed with the bloke down the road who got sober. Think he was a very creative brick layer. He had a tough trot. And the cleaning lady up the road, could she ever swing a mop like a quill. Her life was pretty sad too.

Think it's a bit overrated the Dylan Thomas idea. We're all just people trying to get sober, but without the self indulgence of the artiste tragically creating alone in the garret without alcohol, barren.

Why do we put them in a different class to ourselves? All human beings are creative. Some just denied the chance.

I dunno, I'm raving on but will still post in the name of creativity, and the development of ideas.
Romanticizing the lifestyle of a person with a good heart or the best of intentions who can't get out of his own way, or who destroys his life and who eventually dies by his own hand is nothing new. If you like reading fiction, or enjoy listening to many different types of music, then it's likely that you've come across this theme more than a few times.

Creativity does not rely on a finished product, a thing, for its value. It doesn't need an audience, and it doesn't care what we think about it. It doesn't need any particular kind of training except whatever it is that we need to do in order to become successful as human beings. And not everyone is up to that particular challenge.

By definition and history, survival requires creativity. We neither predict nor control very much of what happens to us in our lives. Without creativity we would go on living an unfulfilled and unfulfilling life, or we would perish by virtue of our inability to adapt to change. It's not the strongest or the smartest who survive.