View Single Post
Old 11-29-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Change can be a big deal, especially if you've been there a while. I once had a job for seven years, that I had really liked. It took me a full twelve months of thinking about leaving before I actually left to do something different. It was hard to leave.

Another thought that came to mind is the spiritual aspect. In the big book when it is talking about finding a higher power it talks about worship of other things as a block to a relationship with a higher power.

For me this has worked along the lines of expectations about how I would feel internally, if I was to achieve a particular external goal. Like owning a boat, getting a promotion, buying a new car, travelling to a new place, getting a qualification etc. The thought that such changes would make me feel better internally (which they may have done for a brief moment) turned out to be an illusion. At the end of the striving for the objective I felt kind of let down that I was still me, and not someone better.

Those sort of motives might have driven me to buy a bigger house at one time, and I think if I felt off about the deal, I might want to look at why I was considering such a move, what was it that was making me uncomfortable about it? Do I really need it, will I or someone else be better off as a result, does it make financial sense? Or is it just about doing something, anything, to try and feel better?