View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
beachedMermaid

After a year of drinking to self-medicate anxiety so I could sleep at night, I needed one month completely dry before my sleep patterns went back to normal. I had those ugly eye-bags you mentioned the entire time I was drinking too much because even though I was sleeping a lot I wasn't getting good quality sleep. It took a month into sobriety to learn how to relax and empty my mind enough to fall asleep at a normal bedtime. I highly recommend taking multivitamins, drinking a lot of chamomile tea before bedtime, and if that doesn't work try melatonin supplements.

.....Of course, two months ago I was diagnosed with a thyroid problem and once I got on thyroid meds my sleep went from "adequate" to "GREAT". I rarely have eye bags any more. I recommend that people who stopped drinking don't just get a physical to check out things the alcohol might've been affecting, but get the whole shebang. I know that while I was drinking too much I wasn't taking care of myself and had no idea I had a thyroid problem. I'm willing to bet a lot of newly sober people out there could use a good thorough physical, to make up for lost time taking care of themselves.