View Single Post
Old 11-28-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
feeling-good

Words of Encouragement for Boss?

Hi F&F!

I have been a member of SR for a few years now and (thank God) have now been sober for nearly 4 years

I heard from my boss at work this morning that he won't be in this week at all - on Friday his wife was taken into hospital and it turns out that she has pancreatitis and that this has most probably arisen due to drinking half a bottle of brandy on a daily basis for many months / years. I am 'fortunate' that my boss is very trusting of me - he asked me to let the other partners at the firm I work know that he wouldn't be in and to just give the reason as his wife being in hospital with pancreatitis, but not to say the likely reason why, which I have done.

My question is - do any of you have any suggestions for words of encouragement or hope that I could perhaps pass on to him?

I know many other alcoholics who have survived pancreatitis and my boss knows I continue to be an 'active' member of AA (and, quite frankly, I possibly only still have a job because he knew the 'struggles' I was going through and, it appears, he recognised the illness through a very close to home situation), but I also know the 'crazy' mindset that many alcoholics have and how difficult it can be to get and remain sober, so I just don't know what might possibly help him right now.

Any advice or examples would be most welcome