Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NatVT

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
As I say every time I comment about this topic, tapering is a terrible idea. I say this mainly because it is usually a way to play mental games with quitting, as has been said here and elsewhere. Most of us just don't get around to it. As some have said, a good dr and meds can make tapering effective for some - IF you stick to the plan.

For me - and as I also say often- it was cold turkey. I had a handle of vodka every two days habit. I went flat cold, 247 days ago. Did I suffer? Yes. But it was quit or not, keep going and die or finally STOP and deal with the immediate consequences. I have escaped death a number of times, and do often think I have the skin of a rhino, so I understand that my experience may not be the norm, or perhaps advisable. I was scared straight and I threw myself directly into sobriety just as hard as I threw myself into drinking.

Talk to your doctor. Honestly assess what you want: do you want to be sober more than you want to drink? Honestly? Then make a plan and stick to it. I'd go so far as to say things like checking in with a dr every day of the planned taper - have a very supervised plan- might be advisable.

Good luck.
What helped ease going cold turkey? I'm going into day 3. My symptoms aren't bad really. I'm being supervised at home by my significant other who is a health care provider. She is checking frequent vitals, neuro checks, and I'm off work for the next several days.