Old 11-27-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
NatVT

Originally Posted by Doug39 View Post
Fireball. That is some rough stuff.

In my early days of drinking I would consume up to a liter of whiskey a day; and that went on for several years. I mainly just drank beer over the last 10 years with an occasional shot of booze here and there.

I averaged 7 to 12 beers a day depending on the day.

Monday, October 24, 2016 was the last day I drank. I was experiencing panic and anxiety for the last several months. Normally alcohol calmed me down but during the weekend of the 22nd/23rd I was panicky 24/7 and the booze wasn't working anymore.

I had a rough day at work on that Monday the 24th, came home and tried to drink it away but it didn't work. Tuesday I went to work in a state of panic but went home early. Wednesday the same thing. Thursday I didn't go to work at all and went to the doctor.

I started taking meds that night for anxiety and depression and the doctor gave me a note to get out of work. I have been on short term disability ever since.

I go to a talk therapist and a psychiatrist now. So no I did not go to a detox. I just rode it out. It was tough - it was a roller coaster of emotions and it was tough physically but it only took a few weeks to feel halfway decent again. I feel better everyday.

I plan to get back to work this week.

Good luck.
Rough stuff indeed! I'm on my way into 72 hours. I have felt better than I did when I woke up after drinking. I already feel clearer than I would when I would drag myself out of bed to go to work. I have really been laying low, staying very well hydrated, taking vitamins and forcing myself to get some nutrition. I'm starting to feel like I want to do something. But I am not pushing it. I'm glad I have this week off to relax and focus on a recovery plan. For now, these forums have been so therapeutic for me. I am going to go to AA, I think I'm going tomorrow. The ones tonight are too far and I just want to focus on getting through these initial days.

I am so looking forward to getting better every day.

Keep on keeping on. It's inspiring to hear such stories.