View Single Post
Old 11-27-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
NatVT

about 48 hours since my last drink

[QUOTE=TheNatural;5243019]Withdrawls are very much an individual thing. I was drinking nearly a gallon of vodka a day during my binges, and never went to the hospital to withdrawl, but I have heard stories of people who worked every day and drank a quarter of that having seizures during withdrawls. Keep an eye on it and thank your lucky stars that it isn't worse, and keep in mind that if you don't stop, it WILL get worse.

The Natural,

I agree with you that it's a very individual thing. I work of all things, as an ED nurse, I see drinkers come in daily. The ED is to medically clear you. Usually once that happens, you are either sent to the ICU or a rehab program. I am a whiskey drinker and have been for about a year although I have drank longer. It got bad for me when I was at a very stressful job and I just wanted to check out at night. I have decided to do a supervised home detox. I have a week off of work and I have someone with me at all times. The hospital is 10 minutes away, and I know a ton of medical providers to reach out to. I'm currently over 2 days. For me it has been the anxiety that has been the worst. Anticipating the worst possible scenario when I actually feel better than I have every morning after getting trashed. I'm in no way downplaying seeking professional help. It is important. For me, my significant other is also a healthcare professional who is monitoring my vitals and we are following the CIWA scale. I actually slept bette last night without booze (almost 5 hours than I have in ages). I know this is not for all people. I think what's important is having a plan and having someone know the signs to look out for if you don't go to rehab. For me I have been in bed for almost three days. Today I feel like I want to get up and walk. I'm taking my B vitamins and milk thistle and magnesium etc and drinking more water than I care to. I'm also making myself eat at least something. Today I had a bowl of broth for breakfast. I'm checking in with my PCP tomorrow as it's the weekend.

I love these threads and love hearing your brave stories. I look forward to continuing the journey with you all.