Old 11-27-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Doug39

Originally Posted by NatVT View Post
Doug,

Did you quit on your own or did you do a rehab? I'm on day 2 of not drinking. For about the last 8 months I have consumed at least a bottle of fireball whiskey at night. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I'm doing a supervised detox at home. My wife is a healthcare provider and we both have this coming week off and have resources. Just interested in how you beat this.

Fireball. That is some rough stuff.

In my early days of drinking I would consume up to a liter of whiskey a day; and that went on for several years. I mainly just drank beer over the last 10 years with an occasional shot of booze here and there.

I averaged 7 to 12 beers a day depending on the day.

Monday, October 24, 2016 was the last day I drank. I was experiencing panic and anxiety for the last several months. Normally alcohol calmed me down but during the weekend of the 22nd/23rd I was panicky 24/7 and the booze wasn't working anymore.

I had a rough day at work on that Monday the 24th, came home and tried to drink it away but it didn't work. Tuesday I went to work in a state of panic but went home early. Wednesday the same thing. Thursday I didn't go to work at all and went to the doctor.

I started taking meds that night for anxiety and depression and the doctor gave me a note to get out of work. I have been on short term disability ever since.

I go to a talk therapist and a psychiatrist now. So no I did not go to a detox. I just rode it out. It was tough - it was a roller coaster of emotions and it was tough physically but it only took a few weeks to feel halfway decent again. I feel better everyday.

I plan to get back to work this week.

Good luck.