Thread: New to AVRT
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Algorithm

Originally Posted by flame11 View Post
I've been failing at permanent sobriety for sometime now about the past 5 years.
There are two ways of looking at this, at least through the lens of AVRT. One is that you failed at abstaining, and the other is that, in actual fact, you succeeded at drinking/using. If you shift back and forth between these two viewpoints, you should see that there is a big difference between them.

Perspective is important. If everyone who wanted to argue that they failed also recognized that they succeeded, they might be in a better position to address the task at hand. The Beast would love nothing more than to have you believe that you failed, and that you are powerless over desire.

I had 3 years sober from alcohol before this but cross addicted to smoking copious amounts of weed, which sent me pretty crazy and I don't do it anymore.
AVRT makes no distinction between alcohol and other mood altering, non-prescribed, hedonic drugs. Alcohol and other drugs (AOD) are one category of substances.

I went through the crash course at RR and I made my Big Plan. I have ordered the new cure book which will arrive in a few days.
Read the book when you receive it, but bear in mind that your Beast can read along with you, and it will be looking over your shoulder for loopholes. You'll want to read the book alone, without distractions.

Work through the ACTION exercises at the end of each chapter, and read through the main AVRT discussion threads on this forum. Much of the material in the book is clarified. Feel free to post questions.