View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
entropy1964

When I was in treatment I had this realization: My downward spiral into addiction and all the misery it brings was a step by step, predictable decline. Each time I choose to go back to that predictable spiral by drinking, I found I could decline just a little further each time. So basically I was assured continued misery if I drank. It dawned on me that if this is true (and it is) that the opposite must be true as well. That if I followed the upward ascension of recovery, step by step, day by day, I would progress into a life without active addiction and all the misery it brings. That I would learn to live life on life's terms and cope with both the successes and failures of day to day living without alcohol. That I could be like any other recovering alcoholic-happy, joyous and free.

Today I am learning to have faith in the fact that if I do what others have done before me, I will recover. I may not know exactly what that looks like, but I have faith that I will get there. I know for darn sure if I drink I will be back in he!!.