Thread: 109 days sober
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
August252015

Congratulations on 109 days. I can certainly appreciate having people close to me whose views are different than mine; my boyfriend and I are quite closely aligned, but my parents are a bit to the right of me in some ways.

I don't know if you work a recovery program but AA and others (our Brit friends can tell you about SMART, AVRT etc and I am one who has also used some DBT methods in my recovery) can help us learn communication and interpersonal skills as part of our sober lives. Might be worth a look as I know that AA's principles and tenets- acceptance, getting away from the "I" and service to others, etc- are key for me to being the best person I can be.

My $0.02 is based on what my sponsors (I am on my second one- I just hit 9mo yesterday and have been with her for the last 4) have told me and on my AA program. We can never take another person's inventory - the whys and wherefores of what they do or say or believe are simply beyond our purview. We need to keep our sides of the streets clean, so to speak, and treat others with respect and acceptance in general; not always easy, but this is more about a boundary than about endorsing things we disagree with - detachment with love, if we believe that each of us have a right to be here and are part of a larger (God's, in my case) plan.

Keep going. You can choose your sobriety and only your behaviors and reactions.