View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
August252015

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
Sometimes I read on SR and a lot of people have an attitude that expresses something like the following: "Ok, I quit drinking and now I am moving on and doing other things like spending more time with my family, etc."

Other posters express something like this: "OMG I quit drinking and now I have no idea how to deal with life or do anything and I have all this anxiety and depression! Please help me."

I know I was definitely in the second group. Of course these are generalizations and I know other people have different experiences, but can someone explain to me just how big of a deal quitting drinking is for an alcoholic? I'm 17 months sober and I have been attending meetings every night. At every meeting I hear something I need to hear that helps me stay sober. Lately I have just been having a difficult time really understanding if quitting drinking is a big deal or if it's just something responsible, mature adults should do.
The ultimate question of surrender there!

Simply, it is the most important act, which is immediately followed by the ongoing act of surrender and acceptance.

For me, it was critical. Quit or die. Then my development of a program and ongoing maintenance gives me life.