View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
danshu

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
Hi Danshu, going on day 9, should be past the worst of the physical stuff.
Head still a bit fuzzy and face still flushed, but stomach a lot less sensitive than it was even a week ago (I can drink black coffee now without heartburn, yay!), and, oddly, less sneezing. Body definitely feeling better overall.

I wondered what it means to be a confirmed athiest. Does that mean the mind is closed to all spiritual concepts, or is it open to some ideas if they are backed with evidence you can see and feel?
I'm open to spirituality in the sense of a humanistic "how to be nice and happy." Not open to anything that depends on believing in a sentient or purposive creator. Took too many hard science classes in my impressionable youth for that to take hold now. Not to disparage or discourage those who are more open-minded about the subject, just know that it won't work for me.

This came into my mind as I was pondering your dilemna with family. A) they want you to drink responsibly, and B) they don't want you to behave like you did last weekend (which was probably not a first). How many times have you tried option A). Is there any evidence to suggest that it will ever work? Could you guarantee everytime to meet the required standard in option B?

If you are like me, these "demands" are impossible to meet so the reality is that moderation is off the table, it is unworkable.
Likewise, I came to the same conclusion. I tried that experiment before. and failed. It might work for someone else, but it won't work for me.

I guess you could reword it to find a satisfying life or face an alcoholic death.
That formulation works for me!

I might place these two options before your wife and ask her what you should chose.
At the moment, she is more willing to let me try, so some progress there. Don't think she believes it will really change anything, but only time will tell.