View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Great thread, Steve. It is always good to reflect. As others have said, becoming sober wasn't hard compared to living sober. The hardest thing for me, as I have posted on other threads, so forgive if this is repetitive, is to sit quietly with a problem that really has no solution. Cases in point: aged mother with some dementia and alcoholic sibling. Challenges associated with both people, and it ain't gonna change for the better. This is the kind of thing that would have sent me racing for the bourbon bottle, knocking over a cat or two on the way. Mrow! Now I meditate. I practice yoga, I go for a walk or to the gym. I pet and brush said cats, which are furry little calmer-downers. I also try to remember that my life is very blessed, and that I am a lucky little chucklehead. Peace.
I am a caregiver for a 90 year old with dementia.. just over a year now. Her entire family visits a lot, but she has one nephew who lives across the street and stops by almost daily, when he can... blatant alcoholic, wife of a recovering (loose term) alcoholic, she used to take care of his aunt full time before she got sick.. and his addiction certainly puts him at a disadvantage when it comes to coping with watching a loved one succumb to Alzheimer's.. that's putting it lightly.

Being around these dynamics, the drinking, the dysfunction, stressed me out for a long time, til I learned how to better cope without drinking.. but it also served as an opportunity for growth, as most uncomfortable experiences do..