View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
BrendaChenowyth

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
I have been floored at how quickly the promises (I am an AA-er) have come true in my life. Not all of them, and not all as I'd ever have expected (or thought I wanted).

I was actually warned against the very things Steve mentions in the op - that you stop drinking and "poof" all's coming up roses. So I set about beginning and now continuing to develop a strong program. Faith work (for me, Christian spirituality), daily program work and usually 4-6 meetings a week, sponsor work, the whole gamut.

The best way I can describe what makes my life so different is that it's real. I get to be present and deal with....all of it. And so much of it is so very good. Acceptance has indeed been the answer to all my problems- struggling, sometimes, but doing my best to live life on life's terms.
Faith, unexpectedly, was a necessary step in my journey, being someone who turned away from God for my whole adult life, and it just broke me wide open. I was also blessed with the willingness to finally do the work, when God started opening doors to sources of strength I could pull from, namely other women like me who had healed their lives.

I am with you, I feel present and able, finally. Acceptance was hard won, painful at times, but very worth it.