View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lizatola

Memory triggers, songs, movies, etc

Does anyone else have songs or movies or sounds that trigger bad memories or fear or adrenaline rushes?

My bf just put on Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory for his kids and I had to leave the room. One of the men/boys who molested me used to call himself the Candy Man and I still can't hear that song or watch that movie without thinking of him.

They also made us (2 7 year old girls) dance to Yellow Submarine while they did things to us. To this day, I still hate Elton John's music although I know he's quit talented. Friends through the years could never understand when I'd say, 'CHANGE THE F'ING CHANNEL!!!!"

And, I also can't stand to hear a woman screaming when she's being held hostage or restrained. It reminds me of how I cried and wailed when my dad put me in my toy box and sat on the lid. I literally have a panic attack and can't watch many horror movies.

Sigh......somedays I wish I was just normal. I hate having to explain myself and most times I get tired of my own stories so I don't even say a thing. I leave the room, go shopping, somehow block out Elton John (god, I can't even admit to how much I hate him and it's not his fault personally), etc. I literally sometimes have to have an out of body experience! UGH!