View Single Post
Old 11-07-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

I would agree, the concept of dealing with reality was a new one for me. I started drinking on a regular basis when I was about 16-17, so I never really learned how to face it my entire adult life. I would argue I'm now learning in my mid-40s's things that I've never learned because I simply ran away and hid/drank for the better part of 3 decades.

For me it's involved a LOT of different things - Sobriety work, counseling, but at the end of the day what it really takes to get the ball rolling is to actually DO the things that make us uncomfortable. As we do them more, we get better at them, just like anything in life.

An example my counselor gave once: If you are afraid of riding a bicycle, you won't get over that fear by reading about how to ride a bike, watching other people ride bikes, learning how to fix or make a bicycle, etc. You have to actually get on and grab the handlebars and start pedaling. Maybe just a few feet the first time, or with training wheels, or with someone holding you up - but you need to get on and try. And sure enough, over time you won't need that help anymore.

You have already made lots of great strides forward Ach, and you should be proud of it. Your therapist can be your "training wheels" and so can we here on SR. Keep working at it!