View Single Post
Old 11-03-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Yogini1603

This is tricky. The general advice from the community support programme, online, books and AA meetings I've been to, tend to recommend avoiding relationships early on in recovery and that it can be especially destructive if both people are addicts. However, I think every relationship is different so you never know.
Thing is, at the moment you're not in a position where you're a good few months in, feeling okay, got a solid plan of recovery and hanging out with the guy you've been dating for ages. At the moment there's a big level of dependence and that's got to be scary for you, thinking that someone else is depending on your recovery for their own recovery. I don't think I could handle it myself.
I'm not going to say you should break up or anything like that, but I do think that you need to get a better recovery plan. He can support you, but relying on one person isn't a good idea when there's a huge recovery community out there (AA, SMART, loads of others!) of people with all different experiences that can help.