View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 10:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Fusion

Originally Posted by nectar View Post
I can do it dwtbd and freshstart, and I amazed myself lol.
Those two things, the "vertigo" and the "just a few" of the AV have had me trapped for years. 25 years to be precise. I wanted to stop drinking years ago, have tried everything over the years. But always drank again when the urges "overpowered" me

I cannot believe something as simple as separating the errant survival drive to drink (the Beast) from me works so well!
I don't think I have ever managed to resist a strong urge ever before, my not drinking only ever lasted as long as the urges stayed away
Oh, Nectar, I can so relate. I too suffered for over two decades. Tried everything and finally suspended disbelief, after reading the posts on this Secular Connections forum and learning AVRT.

The rest, as they say, is history. I'm now a non-drinker and I can't believe how relatively simple it was, after thoroughly digesting mentally and ingraining the fact into my brain; that the Beast's misdirected survival drive, transmitted to me via the Addicitive Voice and images, was NOT ME. Just my brain's faulty wiring due to neuroplasicity, as a consequence of my drinking too much, for too long! The Beast has no power, it can shout and scream at me with it's cravings through the AV. But I have the have the power, as I'm in control of my arms, legs and mouth.

And yes, those faulty thoughts, deceptive brain messages, 'you need a drink', 'you deserve a drink' etc., aren't true and don't need to be wrestled with, fought with, grappled with: but simply ignored! No white knuckling, no one day at a time, no counting days.

This mindset change is powerful, beyond belief and I'm in still in awe, that I've finally managed to stop drinking, forever!

I'm so pleased for you, Nectar.