Old 10-31-2016, 05:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
timetohealguy

Originally Posted by Expanding View Post
This is my understanding of personality disorders...

All personality disorders fall on a spectrum. In order to be diagnosed with NPD you must meet 5 out of 9 criteria which is really hard to do.
Yes it is hard to do, but I someone who meets the clinical definition for NPD, who is absolutely diabolical to be around.

I have known this person for many years, and I have absolutely no idea when they are talking to me when they are being honest with me or not.

If I wrote about the absolutely destruction this person has caused to multiple people, the stories are so diabolical that you would likely not believe me. Though it is hard to meet the clinical criteria for NPD, there are people out there that do.

One of the biggest issues with a real NPD is that so much of their behavior is a false self, that they can be absolute experts at concealing who they really are. It is only when a situation occurs which really hits some NPD buttons that the mask comes off and their real NPD self is revealed - it is a horrific experience to be on the receiving end of.

I believe many people are a**holes but not actually NPD.... they fall on the spectrum and display traits of but are not full blown.
Yes that's very true.

Alcoholism mimics NPD in the sense that the person becomes selfish and is unable to have empathy for others.
Yes exactly.

I actually wondered if my ex had NPD because her behavior during the worst of drinking had similarities to the descriptions of NPD. The article made me understand how alcoholism mimics NPD.

Alcohol warps the brain and the person's perception of reality in very similar ways, I like to think of it as the addiction hijacking the body like a parasite... it is keeping itself alive at any cost.
That is exactly how addiction was described to me by an addiction counsellor, with an emphasis on "at any cost" - when someone is in the grip of addiction, the addiction will make them do whatever is required so that the addiction can continue.