Old 10-27-2016, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by YoungHyde25 View Post

I know some people will say once an alcoholic has 1 drink, they can’t stop themselves from drinking. I don’t fully agree with this, but even if it is true, there should be some education provided that can prevent someone from driving if they do find themselves in a situation where they are getting intoxicated, atleast to save lives
The inability to guarantee the amount we will drink after taking the first drink, every time, is a defining characteristic of alcoholism. If I had control every time, I wouldn't be alcoholic.

I never got a dui even though I drove drunk at least on a weekly basis, and was stopped many times. They did not detect my drunkeness, I had a high tolerance and was used to driving in this state. An awful lot of first time duis are not experienced, don't have the tolerance, and just plain get caught out. And they are horrified, they will never drink and drive again.

When the person gets caught a second or third time, I would suggest they are much more likely to be alcoholic. The one timers get a fright from the consequences and realise they could have caused serious harm to others. They do the decent, honorable thing and dont drive drunk again.

The real alcoholics, self centred in the extreme, never give a thought to the safety of others. They're only concerned with themsleves and getting from A to B with the minimum of personal inconvenience. They have an inflated view of their driving abilities, and anyway, such accidents would never happen to them. There is more going on than just poor judgement based in a little intoxication.