Old 10-26-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
August252015

As I say every time I comment about this topic, tapering is a terrible idea. I say this mainly because it is usually a way to play mental games with quitting, as has been said here and elsewhere. Most of us just don't get around to it. As some have said, a good dr and meds can make tapering effective for some - IF you stick to the plan.

For me - and as I also say often- it was cold turkey. I had a handle of vodka every two days habit. I went flat cold, 247 days ago. Did I suffer? Yes. But it was quit or not, keep going and die or finally STOP and deal with the immediate consequences. I have escaped death a number of times, and do often think I have the skin of a rhino, so I understand that my experience may not be the norm, or perhaps advisable. I was scared straight and I threw myself directly into sobriety just as hard as I threw myself into drinking.

Talk to your doctor. Honestly assess what you want: do you want to be sober more than you want to drink? Honestly? Then make a plan and stick to it. I'd go so far as to say things like checking in with a dr every day of the planned taper - have a very supervised plan- might be advisable.

Good luck.