View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sleepie

A real life encouragement

Had yet another dr appt today as I must be a masochist, I keep up on things instead of ignoring them. So as I had a lot of female problems these last two years I was there again for the millionth time at the office. Goodbye sanity and goodbye money. So the lady was asking me about the last year and everything and was saying that it was a huge thing to have quit drinking, and I was just saying well it never should have happened anyway so. But she kept insisting it was a huge achievement. Ok, that was actually really nice to hear. And then she asked why I quit and I kept saying it was time, it quit me, I had withdrawals and I could not take them anymore so it had to happen, my body couldn't take it. I had to tell her it wasn't my first time trying to quit. Guess I finally turned "trying" into "doing". but she was like "But why did you quit?" Like as if she just couldn't believe it or something, she kept saying how hard a thing it is to do. She must have just been trying to make me feel good. We talked about the benzos too. She said,"Congratulations" before I left. Well that was nice of her.

I mean I feel great about that it was all really nice.

But honestly, if anyone had ever said "Sleepie, you have achieved a really difficult thing in surviving an abusive family, surviving abusive peers and teachers, and congratulations on holding it down despite some pretty serious and life impacting anxiety. It's also kind of a big deal that you had to go no contact with your family and that is not easy thing to have to do, and be pretty much entirely on your own in all ways"...I'm fairly certain I never would have drank to begin with.

It has always struck me that people will relate to and empathize with an easily accessible problem like alcoholism but not so much a messed up abusive situation, nobody wants to hear it. But once you become a big mess and pull yourself out people are ready to congratulate.

Humans. They're backwards.

Don't get me wrong, it was nice t hear all that stuff from the nurse. But, I think abut these things.