Old 10-23-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by WhatBeast
Right brains, feelers and healers, can I get some help up in here?
This quote is from an old post but I just want to respond to it because I am a right brainer, a feeler. I'm a very creative person who prefers to make decisions based on intuition. So the whole living for the moment and becoming one with myself idea is very appealing, however for the purposes of functional living, I have naturally identified thoughts that do not fit my morality and then not acted on them by dismissing them. For example, I've had moments of being so angry I felt I could hit someone, but in identifying that action as not in keeping with how want to live, I refrain. An interesting idea from Buddhist teachings about emotions and thoughts are that they come and they go, but we can observe them, sit with them, and let them pass without acting on them in any way. So people have been doing this form of separating for a very long time. It is a way to slow down the chain of immediately acting on thoughts, and to identify what drives are there, but not in keeping with how you want to live. I cannot make them *not be there*, but I do not have to act on them either.

Originally Posted by Jack16
I had an insight: if I made a 'plan' to take my shoes off, of course, my confidence level in my ability to carry that out would be 100%. It would be completely within my control to do it.
Yes, so true! Not only is it completely within your control, you do not worry for untold hours "Maybe I won't be able to take off my shoes. Maybe I will be stuck in these shoes forever. Maybe there are outside forces that will be trying to keep these shoes glued to my feet, despite my attempts to take them off."