View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
sainos

Brilliant, thank you for that back history! And the insight into addiction scientists attitudes!
Those "recovery councellors" that work for the NHS put themselves across as "independant" recovery workers. Although they are now sending everyone they can to 12-step rehab. (in my area anyway). They even have a class called "breaking down the myths of AA" just incase anyone has "heard" anything bad about AA. So removing any notion that you might have an opinion on it. You are just misinformed, by "whatever" you have "heard"
This, from a public funded service that is advertised as giving a "rounded" view of recovery.
It's a shocking situation that is developing in NHS funded recovery services in the UK.
AA has always been there, and some people will always get some good out of it, if thats what they want.
Smart recovery is there if people want it, and find it useful.

But nowhere, in the "recovery industry" do you find anyone encouraging anyone to take the pledge, make a Big Plan, or even have the mad thought of going it alone!
The NHS is massively strapped for money, the addiction services they do offer are stretched to the limit, the waiting lists months long even get to see anyone.
Their stratergy to deal with this?
No, don't give the people who decide they want to go it alone after seeing what is on offer, any encouragement or information about doing just that.
Instead, use public funds to send them to an expensive out-patient rehab while others are sitting rotting on the waiting list, and do all you can to encourage them to become as dependant on others and the overstretched service you provide as possible, if they REALLY want to stop drinking
And actively and aggressively discourage anyone who even thinks about just quitting without "back-up services"
Your post is very informative, an eye opener. I don't mind that I can never drink again...I like even better that I don't drink now, and won't ever again.
Say that to a NHS recovery worker, and they will choke on their Starbucks (actually mine did splutter on hers a bit)