View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 09:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
sainos

It concerns me too sober.
Recoveryism is taking ever bigger steps in the UK. The NHS used to offer a service for addiction based on one-to-one counselling, cbt, psychotherapy and group therapy (not that I think any of this worked)
But now their service is an outpatient 12 step rehab 5 days a week in which you also have to attend 3 AA meetings a week in the evening.
I no longer believe CBT/REBT/MBT etc work in helping not drinking, for me (I worked Smart for years and found it useful to cope with other things though). But the way things have gone in the NHS, choice has gone out of the window.
And with that, more people are being coached that there is only one way out of addiction, and you play by their rules, or you stay in your addiction.

Even the NHS workers do not believe for a second ANYONE can end their addiction themselves, as you say, what message is this sending to people?
My "recovery coach" said I sounded insane when I finally said, enough, I'm doing it on my own.
She and no one else at that recovery centre had heard of AVRT except one man, who said he had read "all about it" and it wouldn't work. Didn't I realize the AV was me? That was me talking to myself (yeah, well, he understood AVRT well then didn't he? NOT haha)
Which is why I had to either stay there and listen to stuff I really didn't believe in, or break away and do AVRT alone. I can't believe the almost emotionally violent reaction that comes from people when you tell them you are doing it alone! Although, to be fair the man at the recovery team who had the worst reaction, was a former addict.